If your business relies on IT systems, you can’t afford to be unprepared for when they go down.
No matter what type of outage you’re facing, you stand to lose your profits and productivity the longer you are offline.
Whether you’re offline for an hour, or several days, you need to have a plan in place and be ready to act quickly should the worst happen. This will help you to minimise the effects of the IT outage, which could have long-term consequences otherwise.
DeskAlerts can play an important role in helping you to manage system outages – both planned and unplanned.
DeskAlerts is a powerful internal communications tool that ensures all your employees are kept up-to-date by delivering notifications straight to their desktops – even if their PCs are in sleep or screensaver modes. They appear in a way that cannot be ignored or minimized – a far more reliable method of communicating that sending emails where your important communications can end up buried in employees’ inboxes, unopened, unread and not acted on.
Some the ways that DeskAlerts can help:
- Send out notifications about planned IT outages for scheduled maintenance and upgrades to your system. You can send these out at different intervals ahead of time, for example, a week out, a few days out, the day of maintenance and then again 30 minutes before systems are taken offline. Employees will have ample notice to make other arrangements and save and backup their work before the system is upgraded.
- Create templates for different outage scenarios ahead of time that need to be populated with the relevant information when there is an incident, saving you valuable time. For example, you could have templates for scheduled maintenance, unexpected outages affecting particular applications, virus threats and so on.
- When there is an outage affecting some parts of your systems that staff rely on, for example, a particular application, you can continue to send them alerts keeping them updated on the estimated time of restoration.
- So long as you have network connectivity, DeskAlerts will work even if your emails systems are down, allowing you to keep employees informed.
- Take the pressure off your IT department and help desk staff during an outage, allowing them to focus on fixing the problem instead of answering phone call after phone call from employees reporting the same problem and asking the same question about expected restoration time.
- When systems need to go down because of malicious activity such as ransomware, malware, and viruses you can quickly alert staff to the threat and give them step-by-step instructions of what they need to do. By being able to act swiftly, you can potentially minimize the damage to your systems from a malicious attack.
- You can target specific users with specific messages if you need to. For example, you could continue to send DeskAlerts to your call center staff if you have an outage that is affecting your customers, keeping them informed as the situation progresses.